Friday, February 8, 2013

New Headboards for 2 Twin Beds

This project became a necessity when I decided to move my boys into the same bedroom. They had been sleeping together in a single twin bed for several months, so I figured now was the time to make the change. (This was TOTALLY their choice! My little one had his own toddler bed in his own room) Of course that required new headboards! My oldest never had a headboard, and the little one needed something special for his new big boy bed as he moved into his brother's room. That is how I rationalize it anyways.......
I have been loving Ana White's website and fell in love with the farmhouse bed. I made the headboard only, as the room is a little small for a footboard too. I had to tweak the plans based on the bed size but with some planning it was all very easy to accomplish. I have to say I purchased her book, The Handbuilt Home when I could pre-order it on Amazon. I used the book as well as directions from her blog, when building the bed.
The paint is Clark + Kensington paint and primer in one and Black Abyss is the color. My usual paint is Benjamin Moore, but I could not pass up a FREE can from ACE (with coupon found in local circular). I 'purchased' it long ago with some vague intent of using it on this very yet to be thought of, project!
I used a little bit of glaze on top of paint and then rubbed most off. I wanted dimension between the boards and in all the nooks and cracks since this was not perfect wood. It is perfect for what I wanted. After all, two boys live here and everything gets ruined slightly damaged in time.
Their room is small, roughly 12 X 11, so across this wall the beds fit with the cubbies between. I don't mind having a smaller room for both of them. I have found that by having them in one bedroom and gaining a dedicated play area, the bedroom stays neater. In the past they had a lot of toys in their bedrooms which meant they were always a mess. Now most the toys are in the play room and I don't mind if that is a mess at night! And I can sneak into their bedroom at night for kisses and not impale my foot on a lego piece! I am currently working on a new paint treatment for the small dresser that is in this room. It was in the nursery, but now needs to be changed for this room. I will show that when I am done.
Thanks for visiting on my first ever post!

Linking up to:
Sawdust Girl


4 comments:

  1. Very nice job, they look fantastic!!! Found you through Sawdust Girl's Sawdust Throwdown...

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I visited your site and you are a power tool professional! I'll have to keep track of your projects.

      Delete
  2. Bravo on your first ever post! Nice job on the headboards! I share your Southern transplant surprise! Wisconsin to Missouri meant not much winter and HOT summers and we now love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJ! My husband always laughs that I can never move back because I now think 50 degrees is FREEZING! Ha Ha! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I appreciate it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!