Saturday, February 15, 2014

A hanging light over our new island

Welcome!

If you have been here before, you may remember a post from our last house when I spray painted a light from a yard sale and hung it over the island? Well, I did it again, a little differently this time.

Here is a photo from the light in our last house.



The light I am going to share today, is the light that I featured on one of my Thrifty Friday Finds. It has a new home and a slightly new look.

This is what I started with:



I wanted to make it less shiny, but still keep it gold. I used Rub N Buff in 2 different shades: Gold Leaf, and Antique Gold. I tried Gold Leaf first and it did not change it too much. Antique Gold was added on top and I like it much better.

The look I was striving for was one I have seen several photos from Traditional Homes that I loved. I can't find my original inspiration, but here are some photos that inspire me also.


House Beautiful


Pinterest


Houzz <


Houzz


This is my light as it hangs now. I LOVE it!







*** A note about the photos:
1. You notice there is no crown on the kitchen cabinets. That is because I will be adding it! Updates soon, I hope!

The issue I have is that the kitchen opens to the eating area and the family room. Both have lights in them. The eating area has a light over the table (it is the builder's light and I HATE it) and the family room has a light, but is getting a fan with bronze metal and darker wood toned blades. My dilemma is mixing metals....... How do I do it to look like a designer and that is was done purposefully?

Many of my magazines lately have had photos of mixed metals in rooms, I just need to figure out how to pull it off.

I will be changing the light over the table in kitchen, also the hardware for the 2 windows in the family room and hardware for the slider and kitchen window.

SO, for now, the light stays gold toned.

How about your home, or your dream home. Do you mix metals? Especially in the kitchen area where there are lots of metals?

I would love to hear your experiences or thoughts.


Thanks for visiting today. Come back again!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new light!! and your 4th inspiration picture. When we purchased lighting, it was WAAAAY before blogs...heck it was before computers!! Noone ever said not to mix metals, but my own ideas kept most of our lighting in the brass range. Most of our lamps etc., have darkened to antique brass now so I have "aged" the remaining items with various stains and rub on paints. I don't know whether we are accidentally "in" style, or just aged...probably the latter :^)
    Thank you for a lovely post!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That photo shows my favorite lights too. They were also in one of my This Old House magazines and I looked them up on the source list and could not find them on the company listed. I may keep looking. I am thinking of changing out my light to oil rubbed bronze, but I am still holding out that the gold will work! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!