Monday, February 25, 2013

Guest Cottage Sign

We have rearranged our rooms many times, and now that we have 2 children our 4th bedroom is no longer a dedicated guest bedroom. That square footage is too valuable to leave it unused for most of the year, so it is now our guest bedroom and office. Even so, I do like it to look pretty and be inviting for our guests who do visit and spend the night.

I came across a post a while back on Knock off Decor. It was a copy of a sign from Pottery Barn which was my inspiration for my sign. I changed the font a little to my liking, but overall it has the same feel.



I found a piece of wood in my garage. Painted it off white and printed out my words. I showed photos of how I transfer the words to the sign on my Tooth Fairy sign here. Then I used a small brush and painted with a brown paint that I mixed. I needed 2 coats on the brown. This is a close up of after 1 coat.



This is after 2 coats and before wax. I usually do 2 coats on letters, even if it looks good after 1 coat. I think the coverage is more even after 2 coats. But it depends on the look you are going for. If you plan to sand and distress 1 coat may be fine. I was planning on sanding this sign, but ended up liking it so much that I did not sand or distress it.







Thanks for stopping by!


Linking up to:
Skip to my Lou
Home Stories A to Z

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!