Friday, February 22, 2013

Evolution of a Bathroom

We have one guest bath in our home that is nothing special, just an ordinary bath. When we moved in 8 years ago it had toothpaste mint green walls, dark green faux marble counters, an ugly wallpaper border and a vinyl floor. Not at all to my liking.
See for yourself......



In our first redo, we installed a floating engineered hardwood floor. This was one of the first projects my husband and I did together and we had a great time (could it be related to the fact that it was before kids so we did not have any interruptions!?).. maybe.. I pulled the wallpaper border off, removed the vanity and the awful countertop, removed the huge mirror (and reused it to make a large mirror in my foyer seen here). I painted the walls and ceiling (gasp) yellow, put up a pretty shower curtain I had made the year before. We put in a nice pedestal sink which freed up a LOT of space. The linen closet is deep so I do have lots of storage space. I found a great cabinet at Costco and hung it on the wall over the toilet and found a very discounted mirror from Home Depot for over the sink. We also changed out the lighting...aren't those hollywood lights that the contractors LOVE just the pits?





I liked it for quite a while, and then got sick of the yellow......AND wanted to try beadboard wallpaper.... So I painted the top part of the walls a nice aqua/teal/blue color called Dolphin's Cove by Benjamin Moore. I used beadboard wallpaper on the lower part of the walls (I used the brand that Rhoda from Southern Hospitality sells and recommends). I was planning to plank the ceilings but never.got.to.it. That's my life.... I painted the little table grey since it was white and now the lower parts of the walls would be white too.








It is hard to take good pictures in this bathroom because it has no window (who builds a house knowingly without any windows in the bathroom?) I LOVE natural light and my house does not have enough of it!



Below is a close up of the burlap table runner on my grey table. I had this pretty fabric in my oversized large stash that I made a little ruffle with.



I have to say the wallpaper has held it's own with the 2 boys that use this bathroom. There was a small tear in it when my little one decided to use his (plastic) handsaw on the walls. I just pushed it back in place and put a dab of glue behind it and it is not that noticeable. I did paint with a gloss paint, so it is easy to wipe down the wallpaper.



This photo below makes me laugh. I was trying to get a close up of the cute hooks I have. One for each child in their first initial that I found at Anthropologie about 3 years apart. Anyways, when I removed the towel, that is what I found!



Now the bathroom evolution continues. An unfortunate accident occurred when a glass fell in the sink which resulted in a small hole in the bowl and a rather large crack. BOO! I was very sad, but realized that I could make some changes now out of necessity!

I will post about my new vanity when it is done. It involves a roadside vanity rescue and leftover beadboard. I am undecided about the countertop. I have a piece of butcher block that I could use, but this bathroom gets daily use with boys that aren't necessarily wiping up after themselves.... I could go to the granite place looking for a scrap since the size is small. I have been checking my Habitat ReStore and have not found anything yet. I have also been checking Craigslist without success. I plan to reuse my 8" spread faucet. I will just need to purchase a sink. Any suggestions or experience with butcher block in a high traffic bath?

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!




Linking up to:
Happy Hour Friday
Petals to Picots
That DIY Party
Home Stories A to Z

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a transformation Kristina! I love the beadboard wall paper, I used it in my kitchen too. Love the little grey table too. I made a burlap table runner with ruffles for my kitchen table too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! Love burlap and ruffles - you have great taste and I love your home!

      Delete
  2. Kristina - what a great transformation! The beadboard wallpaper makes a huge difference! Love your accents too. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!