Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Board and Batten in entry

Like a lot of bloggers I got the board and batten bug and found a good spot to install it in my home; my entry way.


It is open to the dining room, which I installed picture frame molding in, so it blends nicely, while allowing it to be a separate space with the visual difference. The trim in both rooms is the same color, as is the wall color above the wainscoting. I installed it on the wall to the right as you enter my home. It is just over 10ft long and has a small jut out for a column that was the perfect ending point.

The vertical pieces are 3" wide and the top horizontal board is 4 1/2" wide (I used MDF). I capped it with a 1x2 (which is actually 3/4" x 1 1/2") and used a cove moulding piece where the intersect.

The blue painters tape mark my studs for nailing into the proper spot on the horizontal piece.

I cut a scrap piece to 13" to be the spacer for my vertical boards. Once I figured out the layout, I just used this to space them out. I still used a level to make certain the entire board was level vertically. TIP: Pay attention to things like light switches, alarm boxes or outlets. You don't want to start and then have a vertical slat land smack in the middle of one of those......that may or may not have happened to me......


I used finish nails and HAND hammered each and every one, then went back with a counter sink. The only problem I had was some "puffing up" of the MDF around the nail. I don't know how else to describe it. I filled the holes and sanded A LOT, but a few of the boards are not totally smooth. It really is only noticeable when the sun is shining in the front door. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience with MDF, or if I could have done something different. I do own a nail gun and compressor, so this may not be a problem in the future. Of course hubby got me the compressor for my nail gun 2 weeks AFTER this project. I'm thankful for the gift, but could have used it earlier!!

Here it is before adding the top cap and cove molding. You can just barely see the seam on the horizontal piece. I had 8 foot lengths and needed 10 feet of coverage. I actually planned ahead and strategically placed this seam behind where the mirror would hang.



The image below shows details of all the mouldings that I cut around the ginormous mirror. I only did this with the top cap and the cove. This was so the mirror would be flat on the wall and not have a funny angle to it. I made this frame about 8 years ago when we first moved in and I used the mirror that was the entire wall (builders grade) of the guest bath - I just cut it down some. I loved it then and I still love it.

One last image of the finished product. Our home faces West so we get really bright sun in the afternoon and evenings but it is dark during the morning. The white on the board and batten really brightened the space up. My motto is the more light the better. I like to add mirrors because they are cheaper than putting windows in!




Hope you enjoyed this post and good luck on your project!




I'm linking to:
Savy Southern Style

That DIY Party
http://sawdustgirl.com/2013/03/08/sawdust-throwdown-link-party/


7 comments:

  1. The board and batten looks amazing!! I love it in your entryway. I want to install some in our guest bathroom downstairs. The walls are a bluish color and it would look so perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I think it looks great in any room. Good luck with your guest bath!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the board and batten, you are so talented! I want to do this in our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. You can totally do it in your bedroom! I didn't do many cuts at home - had Home Depot do most of the cuts for me.

      Delete
  4. That looks wonderful! I host a DIY and home renovation link party every Monday and would love for you to join! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-diyers-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!