Monday, September 15, 2014

Laundry Room Sign

Sports started this weekend for my boys. I am so excited for it to start, but no more lazy Saturdays! We have to get going and get out of the house kinda early. Now hopefully some cooler weather will follow....it is still too hot in the South.

Today I am sharing a sign I made for my laundry room. I have A LOT of work to do in the laundry room, but that will have to wait. I have other things on my list first! However, I did have this painted wooden sign that was in my last home's bathroom. You can see it here.

I wanted to hang it in the laundry room and paint some words on it. This is how it turned out.





Some days does it feel like that is ALL you do? Never ending laundry.....

Do you want to see how I did it? It was easy and I used my favorite transfer method that I show in detail here.

After deciding on a Font and size, using Microsoft Word, I took the paper with the letters and traced on the back side around the outside of the letters. Then I carefully placed it on the front of the wood. ** This is the hardest part, getting it straight and lined up***. Next you just rub all over and it will transfer the lead to the wood sign. Like this...





After all the words are transferred, I got a small paint brush and some black paint and turned on DIY network and started filling in the letters. This is what it looked like after one coat. Thank goodness that is all it needed.



I just worked around all the imperfections in the wood, including a big knot! In keeping with the worn look, I decided to give the words a light sanding. Then I sprayed a clear coat over it to protect the letters (the sign had been waxed prior).

Then I put some hardware on the back.....



.....and hung it on the wall.













THE END! Someday I will complete the entire laundry room!

Thank you for reading about my project and please come back again!

Linking up here:

Skip To My Lou
Between Naps on the Porch, Dwellings, Happy House and Home, Burlap and Babies, I should be mopping the floor, Thrifty Decor Chick Designs by Miss Mandee

7 comments:

  1. You sound like me...........I see all these great laundry rooms on blogs and so want to do something with mine, but it is just
    not top priority now, especially since it is soooooooo hot, and my laundry area is in the garage........lol Maybe in January...
    after all the holidays are over and we still have no yard work.............ohhhhhhhhhh now I am thinking............ lol

    Your sign came out great..........wonderful job and bet it gave a lil lift to your laundry area. Very cute idea!
    and It was very cute before too, and so was your bathroom. Lovely.

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nellie! You will beat me if you do yours in January :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely job! This is how I always feel about laundry... I would love for you to share this post at my Create & Share Link Party tonight (7:00 PM MST)! Hope to see you there :) http://designsbymissmandee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandee! I did check it out and link up. You have lots of great links there already. Thank You!

      Delete
  3. This turned out great! Thank you for sharing with us at the Merry Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever transfer method and a cute sign! Thanks for linking to Motivational Monday, and we hope to see you back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!