Friday, September 19, 2014

Pillows!

Who doesn't love a good pillow to tuck around or behind you when you get comfy on a couch or chair? ....or to support your growing belly!.....

I am in the process of changing the color scheme for our family room. We bought these curtains from Pottery Barn for the 2 windows and slider and small kitchen window. This is where I pulled my color inspiration for potential wall color, fabric color for furniture reupholstery and fabric for pillows.


Source: Pottery Barn

That is a picture of the shower curtain, but I bought 6 panels in same print....

I am deciding on paint for the walls, and have tried a color called Sand Beach on the walls in several spots, but have not completely made up my mind. I can't seem to get the image to show on my blog, but the color is called Sand Beach and it is a Sherwin Williams color. Here is a link, Sherwin Williams

I have been collecting fabric samples for months for the chairs I have. I need to reupholster at least 3 chairs! I am trying to find quality fabric but not have it be over $20 a yard because I will probably need 15 yards. Yikes! It is less that buying 3 brand new chairs though. I keep telling myself that!

Since I finally have several fabric samples for the chairs (and they are all solid and neutral), I decided to go ahead and get some fabric for pillows. I re-used the pillows we had and took those covers off, so I did not have to buy new inserts.

I bought this material at JoAnn's for 50% off (of course). It was $20 per yard, before the discount.



This stripe material was also from JoAnn's in the scrap section and the colors worked well so I bought it for my 2 small rectangular pillows.



The crewel pillows were a Thrifty Friday Find several months ago. You can see that post here.

For the blue lattice print pillows I made them an envelope enclosure style so that I could take the cover off and wash if needed. I did this because they are so light colored compared with the pillows we had for many years, and I have 2 boys plus a baby on the way. They WILL get dirty and this will make it very easy to clean.







For pretty crewel pillows I decided to back them with a thick dark brown material that I had. I was planning on using a lighter material, but liked how that dark brown worked with the pillows and makes the front the star. They are just so beautiful and I am so glad I found them! After taking them apart I hand washed them and pressed them and they just waited for me to make them back into a pretty pillow again! You can also see in one of the close ups, how I close my pillows. I never sew them together like you will find in many store bought pillows. I HATE that. I always hand stitch them closed, you can tell if you look real closely......





The little striped lumbar pillows are perfect size for squishing behind your low back when sitting. This is an indoor/outdoor fabric so is super durable. It was in the 50% off bin at JoAnn's. There was not much fabric, but just enough for these 2 little pillows. I did not make these covers removable.






In total I have SIX new pillows. All the inserts were reused, so I did not have to purchase any. I spent a total of $18 on fabric and the crewel pillows were $4 each. I am simplifing my style and chose not to do any fringe or trim on any pillows, so total cost for SIX new custom made pillows was $26. I am okay with that! The upholstery will be a LOT more.....

Thank you for stopping today! Keep coming back for more projects and inspiration. I have some projects in the works that I will post about soon, including making over 6 kitchen table chairs I purchased from Craigslist! See you soon!!!

Like and follow me on Facebook!


Linking up here:

Skip To My Lou
Between Naps on the Porch, Dwellings, Happy House and Home, Burlap and Babies, I should be mopping the floor, Designs By Miss Mandee

4 comments:

  1. I love pillows too. I'm just starting to make fall pillows to decorate the house with. Thanks for sharing your post on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the linky party! I'm going to skip fall pillows but hopefully can make some Christmas/holiday pillows!

      Delete
  2. Such gorgeous pillows! I use similar methods to make mine. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!