Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pinecones and Burlap and Glue

My oldest son and I had some time together the other morning so we went on a hunt for nice pine cones. He was so helpful and even was helpful when we went to Hobby Lobby to get some burlap for them! Last year I made a very easy door hanging with minimal supplies. Here is my front door Christmas 2012.



I got the idea for the sign from a blog (I think.....) and I can not remember where I saw it. If anyone knows, please comment and let me know so I can update. Anyways - have you noticed that the bottom of the "g" is missing? There was no way I was going to repaint the whole thing, and my husband did not notice it. But now I went and told you all!!! Now you know!

This year I am not making another sign, and my sign in in storage (read this post for more explaining). My project today includes pinecones, burlap, fabric, a glue gun and some crummy scissors. I bought the burlap and fabric from Hobby Lobby spending a grand total of less than $4.00. The gluestick I have and the pinecones were free.

This is what I did with my project.



I started out with strips of burlap (cutting with children's scissors test my patience - but guess what - no scissors!). I put a glob of glue on the flat end of the pincecone and pushed the end of the burlap strip into it. Then I put another glob and folded the burlap over and angled it so it did not fold over perfectly. Then I put another glob, and repeated again. This made 2 small folds/ loops that I liked at the top of the pinecone. Then if I needed to I put a thick line of glue in the center top of my pile and stuck the burlap there so that it would hang from the center (and not off to the side).




While that dried I made fabric strips. I think this was 1/4 yard of cotton fabric. To make even strips you just rip. Yes, it is that easy. I was not going for perfect edges so this worked for me.

Step 1: Cut a small slit where you want to start your rip.



Step 2: Hold both sides of the slit and you guessed it...... RIP. Easy Peasy.



This picture shows you the entire window. I apologize for the lighting but I wanted to show you that I have 6 pinecones in 2 clusters of 3 (odd numbers always seem to look better in groups like this).



If you have any easy projects I would love for you to share with me! Post a comment!

If you are wondering about the stools. Well...... I am still working on them. Just v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w.l.y......


Have you Liked me on Facebook yet?



I am sharing with these blogs: Thrifty Decor Chick,
Making the World Cuter
,

1 comment:

  1. Love your pinecone decoration project! So simple, natural and nice looking. Bet they look great as Christmas decor, especially given that all your other holiday decor is in storage!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!