Friday, October 25, 2013

God Bless Our Home

I had some extra time here and there this week so I decided to make a new sign. I want to put this in our new home and wanted it to be ready for move in day....whenever that may be.

I used plain wood pieces that I bought at Home Depot that do not need to be cut. I just needed to give it a light sanding. I used one of these boards for my Welcome sign that I made for a friend.

This is my finished sign.



These are the steps I took to make it:

1. Sand board and paint it with base coat. Both my boys helped me with this! I used a Benjamin Moore sample size can in Edgecomb Grey.

2. Print out words, I used Microsoft Word in a font that I liked. Then I used the transfer method to get it to the board. First I held it up to a car window (while the boys were playing in the driveway) and traced on the back side with a pencil. Then I turned it over and - after lining up all words to make sure everything fit - I rubbed over the words with the side of the pencil. You do this over the printed side of the paper. Click here to see more details with photos on my transfer method. When you are done, this is what your board will look like.



3. Paint with small brushes in the pencil lines. I used Black Iron, another BM color that I used on my black door. I have at least 2 sample cans of this. I used 2 different sized brushes for these letters. I am left handed so I always paint right to left so I don't smudge the wet paint as I go! I did 2 coats of black.

4. I wanted to paint a black edge around the entire sign. I used blue tape for this. I also painted all the edges. The next photo shows what happens when you are careless about pressing down the edges.



Here is the difference of how edges look with tape that is pressed down, and tape that is not.



I had to go back with the grey paint to fix all the edges..... a lot of fixing for what would have taken me 20 seconds to do before painting....



5. After everything was dry, I waxed it with MMS Antiquing Wax, but ended up rubbing most off because it made it look too dirty for me. Then I used my regular MinWax over it and buffed the whole sign.

I really love how it turned out and can't wait to find the perfect spot for it in our new home.







Thank you for reading and have a Blessed Day!



Sharing with these blogs today:
Miss Mustard Seed
The Pin Junkie, Thrifty Decor Chick

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!