Sunday, November 30, 2014

Craigslist Chairs Redone

Hello, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and was able to spend it with some family and/or friends!

Today I am going to share a project that has been completed for a while, but again, with baby here it has s..l..o..w..e..d.. me way down! So, I am just getting to putting this post together now.

If you have been to my blog before you may remember these chairs from a Thrifty Finds Friday a while back. If you are new here, WELCOME - I am glad you are here. You can read about the chairs and price here.





The first order of business was to scrub these babies down. It is hard to tell in these photos but, they had mold spots on them. It was not difficult to clean them, it was just a little bit of a cardio workout! I scrubbed so hard my heart rate was elevated the entire time I cleaned these! I just used warm soapy water and a scrub sponge, and some good ole elbow grease.

Then I left them outside to dry thoroughly.

Next I took off all the seat and got to work on them. They were a light wood which does not go with any wood tones in my home, so I sanded them and stained them.

Here is a closeup of a seat before I stained, and after I sanded it.



Then I used the same stain that I used for the kitchen table when I stained it years ago (this is the table my chairs are going around). It is the color Java in General Finishes stain. Below is a picture of what the chairs looked like after one coat of stain. It looks very streaky in this picture, it was not so streaky in real life. It was even less so after 2 coats.





Here they are all balanced on paint cans drying!



I did 2 coats of stain and 3 coats of poly.

I have no pictures of me spray painting the chairs. But I used Heirloom White to spray these chairs. I sprayed them upside down first, then right side up. I used lots of coats of very light sprays, that keeps the paint from dripping. This came in a Matte finish, which I don't like on furniture, so I sprayed a poly on once the white had dried. When all the painting was done, I put the seats back on the chairs. This is how they look around my table. I love them and I think they came out so nice.















Did you notice the white front door in the background? That should be black by then end of the week. If all goes as planned!

The blue/gray wall in the background with the white gallery shelf you can read all about on this gallery wall post.

If you are interested in the wall planking you can read about it on the planking the kitchen wall post. Or read about the bathroom wall planking here.

Next up: I am working on wainscot in the dining room. I am going to do the same style as in our last home. You can read about that here. Oh - and I need to get the Christmas decorations out and put up.....

Please like me on Facebook and get updates there

Thanks for reading and make sure to visit soon!


I'm sharing here today:
Skip To My Lou
The Girl Creative, Thrifty Decor Chick, Crafty Allie, Green Willow Pond, Miss Mustard Seed

3 comments:

  1. i really, really, want to re-do our table and chairs. your set really inspires me. So, how much did you sand the seats? was all the poly removed? I have no experience with gel stain, but seems it can go right over poly? My set is typical 80's honey, and i HATE it. all the other wood work in the house is dark, so i want to match that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it and it inspired you to do your set! I have a little mouse/palm sander. I used that for the seats and did get through the finish in some spots, but did not in others. I just made sure thathe entire surface was sanded, but was not to concerned about. Getting down to the raw wood. I have used the gel stain before and I really like it. I think it tends to get darker faster than liquid stains. But that is just my experience. I buy it at Wood You furniture, and the folks there are very knowledgable about the products. They are a good resource. Email me a picture when you are done, I would love to see them!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the chairs and congratulations on your new baby! Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a merry Christmas season!

    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!