Monday, June 16, 2014

Painting a Gender Neutral Nursery

Happy Monday everyone. I hope your weekend was great and for those father's in your lives, hopefully they had a special day!

Our family spent the last week painting a nursery for a baby (not yesterday - I would not do that to Mr. Thrifty). Yes, I said family and I said baby! My little ones wanted to be involved and had a small paint can and small paint brushes and painted many stick figures on the walls (that were covered up with a roller). But we will always know they are there. Mr. Thrifty (he, he) is not a painter, and under instruction from me did a great good great job!

The first thing I had to do was pick colors. We won't find out the sex of the baby until delivery --- which could be an entire conversation on its own and I know people have very differing opinions on this ------ which is exactly how we did it with our other 2 children. Anyways.......paint colors......after painting samples on the walls I went with Pale Celery for the top of wall and Mountain Dew for the lower part of the walls. Both are Benjamin Moore colors and we used BM paint too (so superior to SW in my experience). The top color is pale yellow, and the bottom color is pale yellow green. I used shaped Frog Tape for the border between the two colors. It was expensive, but thankfully was on sale at ACE when I bought it, and it makes such an awesome edge with NO bleedthrough at....all.....

Of course it took me 90 minutes to put it up on the wall, using a level to keep everything straight.

Here are my supplies:



That little yellow thing in front of the paint can......... it is less than 2 dollars and you put it around the paint can lip and it eliminates spills on the can when you pour it into the roller tray etc.... I can't believe I never bought one before moving to our new house. I just wash it when done and keep reusing it and I love it!

This is the shaped tape on the wall (don't forget your level to keep it straight since ceilings are never completely level)



This shows the yellow above and unpainted below. You can see my samples painted on the wall in this shot.



Here you can see how I also used straight tape. This was above the window, where I will eventually have a boy or girl fabric valance and it will be hidden. I wanted to save the expensive shaped tape. I also used this tape in the door area, which is recessed. Basically because I was really tired of putting the shaped tape up!



The next few photos show how the room looks fully painted. I only have a crib and changing table so far. When we moved we sold or gave away ALL of our baby things! So I have to start over for this one.... The curtains will stay and I will paint the curtain rod and add a valance after the baby comes. I think these colors will look great with a bright pink, or a navy blue. I love the gauzy curtains from Ikea. I think they will look great with pom pom trim in either color.







Keep following to see the progress on this room. The final reveal will be sometime after October, which is when this thumper baby is due to arrive.

Thank you for reading and see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!