Saturday, May 18, 2013

It's Blueberry Season!!!!

I LOVE BLUEBERRIES!!! Some fruits I associate with summer time and blueberries is one of those. Back home, the blueberries arrive later in the season, but here in the south they are early and I love it!

Yesterday after school, I brought the boys to an organic blueberry farm about a 40 minute drive away. They had a great time searching for ripe blueberries. We each had our own bucket and went down many rows to get as many as we could. After 30 minutes they were done so we went to weigh our crop. In total we picked 4.4 lbs and spent WAY less than we would at the grocery store at $2.59 per lb. My bucket is not shown in the photo below :-)







There was row after row of blueberries and lots of varities. The picture below shows the 2 varities we picked. Other varities were not ready yet so we will be going back in about 3 weeks for more!



Last night after we got home, I made a blueberry cobbler that was delish! We all ate it right up, nice and warm out of the oven.



I made blueberry waffles this morning and they were so yummy too. I will most likely freeze some to use in smoothies. I saw on Pinterest an interesting idea for blueberry lemonade. We also love to eat them plain. Usually on a toothpick, the boys like to see how many they can get onto one toothpick!

What is your favorite blueberry recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!