Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A little Chalkboard sign fix

Good Morning! It has been too long. We had a busy 2 weeks and we have some very exciting things in the works. But I can't talk about it just yet. Soon......I will share!

I bought a frame over a year ago and turned it into a chalkboard. I love the way it looks, but the problem is the surface that the chalkboard paint is on. It is very bumpy and rough. I thought it would be okay, but it is terrible to write on, and even worse to wipe off. Isn't the purpose of having a chalkboard so that you can write, wipe off, write, wipe off etc? Yes, I thought so. Anyways, the same thing has been written on there for a year. Time to change that.

Here is the frame as I bought it. Yikes! Who would buy this and who would pass it by?



I made the mistake of trying to peel the eagle part off of the hard back. Well, part peeled off and other parts did not so I was left with a rough mess. I could not spray chalkboard paint over that, so I did the logical thing and turned it over. The back had little tiny bumps all over.... You know how that turned out! Here is a closeup of the price and you can see the little bumps peeking out.



I went to Home Depot and looked in the scrap wood section. Do you all know what I am talking about? In case you don't.......it is in the very back of the lumber section in a cart. This cart sometimes is full and other times not so full of any kind of wood or trim pieces. They are all different sizes, as they are left over from a bigger cut, or an error cut. They are all sprayed with a color and that color tells you how much they are. I think $4.00 is the most expensive.

I bought a smooth plywood for $4.00. It measures 24" X 48" X 3/16". I don't know exactly what type of wood it is, just that it was thin and I was hoping it would not be too thick for my frame.

I traced the shape of my bumpy board on it and cut it out with my circular saw. Then sanded it and sprayed it with chalkboard paint like the directions said.

It took a few days to spray and dry because we had rainy days. But this is how it turned out. Nice and SMOOTH!!! I can erase and write something new every day!!





Here is a close up of the frame. I LOVE those old frames that have this rough burlap between layers of the frame. Some are nicer and have a more linen looking fabric, but truthfully I love either look!



This hangs on the laundry room wall and greets us when we enter from the garage. You can see the whole wall with most of the frame here.



I'm sharing with: Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Green Willow Pond, I Gotta Try That
TDC Before and After

2 comments:

  1. I love framed chalkboards. Your's turned out very well! I think we must have the only Home Depot that doesn't have a scraps bin. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. That is too bad about your HD..... Have a great week too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!