Friday, May 31, 2013

Glass Etching Cream

I have a problem.

I can't just go to a store and buy something for a gift without adding to it, or making it into something different, or embellishing it...... Sometimes I think it would just be easier to go buy a gift and be done. But....I can't. I just love to personalize things or make things special for someone.

I have a glass etching project to show you today. Keep reading to find out how easy it is!



I needed a gift and wanted to use a monogram. I found a cake stand that I loved while browsing through Belk department store. I immediately knew it would be perfect for personalizing! I have a cake stand similar to it that I received as a wedding gift, from a very talented Aunt who happens to be an artist. Lucky Me!!!!! I use it often and hope the couple I give this to will too!

OK, back to the glass etching. The first glass etching project I did was a mirror that I did in art class when I was in junior high. I still have it hanging in my house after having it professionally framed. All you need for glass etching is some cream and a brush. To make your shapes you can free hand, trace objects or use a cutting machine. I used my Cricut for this project. I also used vinyl because that is what I had, but I have used contact paper from the dollar store before too.

This is the cream I used and it works exactly as it says on the directions. You don't need much for projects like this. I bought mine at Michael's. And guess what........I used a 40% off coupon!



Luckily for me the initial I used was an "H" which can look the same from right side up, or upside down. This was important because the lid for the cake stand can flip over to be used for a punch bowl. I also used a leaf pattern around the H that would look the same from either direction.

After cutting out the H on my Cricut, with the help of my handy helper (a 3 year old who can push the correct buttons) I put it on the glass making sure it was centered correctly. I used a little scraper tool to really make sure all the edges were stuck to the glass and there were no gaps. I should also mention that I cleaned and dried the glass first. Once it was all set, I liberally applied the etching cream with a brush and let it sit for 15 minutes, which was the recommended time on the directions. I used my timer so that all my images would look the same after having the cream on for the same amount of time.





When time was up I rinsed the cream off, pulled off the vinyl and rinsed the glass again. Next I applied the leaf image to one side, again being very careful to get all the edges down. I repeated the same process with both sides.



I decided to add a little image to the handle at the top. This took 2 steps too, and I used the same process again, using a design that I cut out on the Cricut and using the leaf pattern again.









I LOVE the way it turned out! Now I want to bake a cake or some goodies to put on mine!

What has been your experience with etching cream? What are your favorite projects using etching?



Linking up with: The Girl Creative, My Romantic Home, Chic on a shoestring Decorating, The Shabby Nest, Redoux, Serenity Now Green Willow Pond

13 comments:

  1. ohh what a great gift idea! Came out so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually etch old windows and never thought of small things. This is o lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. Do you etch old windows that are not used as windows anymore? That sounds so interesting! I bet they look great. Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have not tried etching creme yet..and I have some, so no excuse! Love how this turned out. I need to dust off my bottle and give it a whirl. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a

    great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the link up Deborah. Yes, you should try it. It is so easy. My favorite project was doing a silhouette of a dog on some tall glasses for friends. You can do just about anything!

      Delete
  4. WOW this is amazing, I have never etched glass and also never realised it was done with cream! I am super intrigued to try it :-) Also with a Michael's coupon of course (every time!). Thanks for sharing :-) Pinning now.

    Hannah ♫
    Sew Lah Tea Dough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. You should give it a try - there are so many possibilities! So you never go to Michael's without a coupon either?!?! :-)

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted to try this! What a great wedding gift this would be! Love it:)
    XO,
    Christy
    Confessionsofaserialdiyer.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!