Sunday, May 5, 2013

Furniture Rearranging

Chronic Furniture Rearranging. Does anyone else have this problem? It is like an itch that I just have to scratch! Hubby is so used to coming home to things in different places that all he does is roll his eyes - or say "wow this looks great", and that is it!

I was tired of my living room arrangement. My living room is wide and has french doors to the patio on one of the long sides, it is open to the kitchen on the other side so that only leaves two walls. The cable outlet is in a fixed location so the TV has to stay in that general area.

My goals for a new furniture arrangement were:
1. Not to lose any seating
2. Hopefully gain a seat
3. Keep the TV where it is. I have moved the big entertainment unit but like it best in the corner
4. Get the seating closer, to facilitate conversation
5. Buy nothing (he, he)

On a side note - a positive thing about furniture rearranging is CLEANING. I move furniture to vacuum, but moving it to another area completely lets you really see what was hiding in the far corner under the couch!!

Here is what it looked like before, or you can view it in Our Home.


See, the couch and 1 chair were a mile away from the other chair and TV.

Okay, keep in mind my goals above....... I moved the couch so that the back is when you walk in. I usually don't like this, but it lets me have a more conversation-oriented layout. I don't need the big open space on the rug I had before that I used when the kids were little. With my new layout the couch is in front of the french doors and I LOVE to sit on the couch in the evening, with the french doors open, and listen to the sounds!

Here is a view of the side wall as you walk into the family room. Did not change much except for the chair.



This is from across the room.



Here is a closeup of the wonderful OLD window frame that is from Quincy MA when I lived there. Someone was throwing it out...... I had blue glass put in it but then when I changed my decor and did not use blue anymore I just took it out and have never replaced it. I love the rusted original window lock.



This view is from standing in the patio doors looking in the house.



Here is a real life photo of where I keep toys.....and where my shirtless kids are. I got rid of most the toys in this room when we changed the boys to one room, therefore gaining a playroom. However, one little basket remains. I keep it hidden here.



This is my "new" chair. My mother in law's friend was downsizing and I got it for a wicked steal (there's some Boston lingo for y'all!). Anyways, it has a beautiful shape and the cushions are made of down. It is a very comfortable chair. I don't care for the fabric, but at least it does not clash with my decor. I am waiting until I decide what I want to reupholster this with before I tackle this beast. It will be a LOT of work. There is piping, double piping, an ottoman. I will, of course, blog about my foils when I do tackle this project.



This little alcove area is by our master bedroom door. It is angled, but is to the left (or behind) the chair with the toy basket. I painted the back with a trellis pattern with sparkle paint and layered the mirror and frame here. This is another old thrift store frame with cool linen in it, like my chalkboard frame, but I painted this linen black along with the frame.





This view is standing with your back to the alcove and frames you just saw.



Have you done any rearranging in your home, or do it at all? I like love thrive on change sometimes!


Thanks for visiting!!!!


I'm sharing with:
TDC Before and After

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!