Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Shutter turned Jewelry Organizer

Happy Tuesday!

This project came out of necessity. I have several jewelry boxes, but the problem is that all my jewelry got jumbled in there and I could never find what I was looking for. I wanted a way to display my options so there was less searching and more time for other things! This is what I came up with. It will only work if you wear dangling earrings, which most of mine are. I can put most my earrings here, my bracelets and my necklaces (not the good stuff, of course).



It started as a $3.00 shutter from the ReStore (LOVE this place). I hung it outside to spray it green since I wanted a white topcoat and was planning on sanding it and wanted a little green to show through. I get many strange looks from passing cars when I have items hanging from the front tree as I am spraying and drying!



This next picture shows that I added trim to the top to hide the shape. Just not the look I was going for. I used chair rail and mitered the corners and used my nail gun and wood glue on edges.
*** Update: this is not chair rail. I think it is left over door frame trim. Whatever it is...it was a scrap piece from my pile that I grabbed because it fit!!





I added a monogram that I painted on the bottom.



I had to purchase some "S" hooks from the hardware store to hang some earrings that did not fit and a necklace that was too bulky for the bottom.





The hooks on the bottom are just simple cup hooks that I screwed in to hang bracelets and necklaces. I also added a little scrap of cove moulding to the bottom.



There you have it. A really easy idea for a jewelry organizer.

Thanks for visiting!



Linking up to:
Not Just a Housewife
Home Stories A to Z


Savy Southern Style
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Miss Mustard Seed
Someday Crafts
TDC Before and After



Funky Junk Interiors: Old Shutters

4 comments:

  1. so smart! i love the size of this, it seems huge, and i looove the trim you added. doesn' even look like a shutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much. It is pretty big, which makes it seem like I need to buy more earrings! It won't ever get cluttered though. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!