Sunday, February 17, 2013

LL Bean knockoff Longitude/Latitide sign

Happy Sunday! I am enjoying a quiet day with my boys gone for a long weekend with family. I have a long list of things to get done but want to share one of my favorite signs. I have yet to make one for my home, but think that will be coming soon.

I found a sign that I loved in the LL Bean Catalog. When you order it you have it customized to where you live. I decided to make a couple as gifts for friends and family. I found a few pieces of wood that were the right size. I have a bunch of scrap wood - so no cost to buy any.
These pics are just 2......I have wood in every corner of the garage and even stacked up in the middle of the garage where little boy likes to "build" towers with left over wood!

I looked up the Longitude and Latitude of Plymouth MA on the internet. Then I found a font that I liked on Word and printed out the words Plymouth MA and lat. 41.958 and long.-70.667. Then I transferred them to my board that I had painted with some left over white paint. I used the transfer method that I have been using since I was in elementary school, so simple.
I mixed my own custom blue from several blue paints I had. I mixed a pretty slate blue color which I thought would look nice with the decor of the couple I was making this sign for. Then I painted with a small brush over the faint pencil lines made from my transfer. I needed to do 2 coats of the blue. When it had dried I did a coat of wax over the entire sign to protect it.


I added a hanging bracket to the back of the sign. This sign was very light so not a lot of support was needed. It was also light enough that I could ship it easily and without too much cost.

See you next time!
Linking up at Skip to My Lou and to Home Stories A to Z and to Petals to Picots.

2 comments:

  1. As the proud owner of this sign, I absolutely love seeing this post!!! The sign is one of my most treasured wedding gifts and everyone that comes to our home comments on it. A gift made by a long time friend that has so much meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy it. I looks lovely in your beautiful home!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!