Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pennant Banner in Boys Room

Hope you all had a great Easter.

I can't believe it has been a week since my last post. We started spring break in the middle of last week and are still on break. We also had family visiting for a week, so we had lots to do and catch up on.

I have to share these roses that I bought at Costco for the holiday and to brighten the house up. We have had so much rain and grey weather that I needed a burst of sunshine in here! My favorite flowers are peonies and roses.




My chair is still not done, you can read Part 1 here. I have searched for fabric and still have not found any I like. I last told you I had fabric that I wanted to paint, but have not found a stencil yet. I will share it when I do.

Onto today's post. Here is a picture of the pennant banner (is that what it is called?!) on the wall.



This is how I did it:

I have been wanting to make a banner for the boys room for a while. I just needed to get organized. While I had all my fabric bins out (desperately searching for fabric for the chair since I can't find any in a store) I pulled out a bunch of left over fabric that would coordinate with the boys room.

I made a triangle shaped template out of cardboard. Sidenote: all the cardboard things that come on the bottom of paper stacks are the best for things like this. Anyways, I cut out a bunch of triangles. I ironed the edges leading to the point in and sewed them all with the same color thread. I left the top edge unfolded and unsewn.

I bought a large spool of jute from Hobby Lobby, with 40% off, OF COURSE!

I laid them all out on the floor so I could adjust the order of them based on pattern and color, then put them in order in a pile.



Then I glued them to the jute, keeping them evenly spaced at 2 inches apart.




It is hard to get a picture of the span once on the wall. It probably covers at least 10 feet, maybe a little more.





Hope you have a great day!!!



I'm Linking up to: House of Hepworths
Savvy Southern Style

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Kari from the Sunset Lane.
    You asked about how I finished the top of the butcher block counter in my bathroom. We put mineral oil on it. My husband is a woodworking teacher and he did it. We got the mineral oil at Dollar General (it is way cheaper there and can be used as a laxative, just FIY on where to find it :))

    Thanks,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the info :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!