Friday, February 15, 2013

Personalized Burp Cloth Baby Gift & Card

The first time I sewed personalized burp cloths was when my oldest was born, and he is now 7! I have made so many styles; adding fabric, adding ribbon, adding ruffles, adding bows and any combo of the previous. I loved these when my boys were infants, and they make the best, most used baby gifts!


I recently saw a great tutorial on That's My Letter for adding a letter to the burp cloth. Jaime has such a great tutorial (all her tutorials are fantastic) for this that I won't do one. This is not difficult and is quick to do. You just need to go slowly to get around all those small areas on some letters.
Today I made 3 burp cloths (just purchase the thick cloth diapers - I like Gerber brand); one with fabric, one with ribbon and one with the letter "S" for a new baby named Sophia.
This picture shows how I line the needle on the outside of thin pieces when I want the stitch to be right at the edge of fabric, or in this case, ribbon. This allows the foot to be more centered and hold the material down more securely.

Sorry about the picture quality. I have an old camera that was nice when it was purchased for taking photos on our honeymoon - 10 years ago! I also don't know how to work it very well but am anxious to learn to shoot better pics.

I also had 2 coordinating washcloths to add to the gift. These are simply white terry cloth towel that I cut to size. Then I cut fabric out about 1/4" bigger all around, ironed the edges all in 1/4", pinned right side out to the terry cloth and stitched close to the edge.
Always remember to pre-wash all your fabric before doing any project. When making infant gifts I always wash everything in either Dreft or Woolight.
I also made a card to go along with the gift. I have been making cards for at least 15 years. I have a large stamp collection and 'some' other supplies to go along with it. I do have a Cricut but rarely use it for making my cards. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

These are the supplies I used for making this card. I did use double sided tape, a heat tool for the embossing powder and a ruler which are not pictured. I just love the colors on this card.
Have a great day and thanks for reading!


Linking up to I heart Nap Time's Sunday Scoop Link Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!