Wednesday, April 30, 2014

DIY Shelf for bathroom storage

As if I don't have enough projects going on right now....... I decided to build a little shelf for storage in my half bath. I have a pedestal sink in there, so there is no where to store toilet paper, soap, extra towels etc.....

While browsing through my awesome book, The Handbuilt Home, by Ana White, I found the perfect solution. I also had a ton of wood scraps (as usual). All I needed to buy was a little cove molding. Here is a picture of the unit from Ana's website.



Mine is slightly different in that I used cove molding, instead os shoe molding. You can tell when you look at the top, and the base of the unit when comparing the picture above, and my picture. I also painted the underside of my shelves a tan color, while the rest I painted white. I did have to caulk a lot and the middle shelf of mine is crooked..... Learned my lesson.

Here is the finished product hanging on a wall (not the half bath wall, as intended)



When it was done I brought it into the half bath and had hubby hold it against the wall and it looked too big! It is a small room and it just did not look right at all. So I decided to hang it in our master bath in the tub alcove area. It is a much bigger space, and it looks great. Bonus is that you see the side of it when entering the room, so you don't notice the middle vertical board that is not plumb. You can only see it if you are standing in the tub, looking at that wall! Perfect!

Here are some photos of the process. I followed the plans in the book but did not use pocket holes. I can't figure out my Kreig yet.... and have NO patience.... I used a nail gun.

















Hope you like this project. It was not difficult, but you need to use power tools for it, unless you had everything cut at your hardware store. I did 3 coats of paint. One coat of primer, and 2 coats of paint (using a free sample can I had). I did use caulk in some spots, but used the wood filler for all nail holes and around the cove molding.

Good Luck on all your projects!

Check out this project and photos and glimpses of upcoming projects on my Facebook page.


I'm linking this up with: Green Willow Pond, Craft Dictator, The Pin Junkie, Miss Mustard Seed

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your shelf! I keep thinking I need to do something like this in our tiny bathroom, but we plan to gut the whole thing and enlarge it eventually, so I keep putting it off. This seems like a pretty easy project though. Maybe I'll have to try it. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! Gutting a bathroom and starting from scratch is always exciting! I wish this fit in my 1/2 bath, but it was just too big. The storage in it is great though. Maybe I'll modify the depth of it and make another one that is not as deep for the 1/2 bath.....

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!