Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Welcome Sign

I guess I like signs! I didn't realize how many I have made. I have posted about the Guest Cottage sign, the Longitude/Latitude sign, the Tooth Fairy sign and now this sign. I also have several more that I love that I have not posted about.

I guess I love them because they are easy to make and I usually don't need to go to the store for anything. I can personalize them for whomever I want to give a gift to, and who doesn't love to get a personalized handmade gift?



This sign was made for my sister in law when she moved into a new home. I picked the colors to go with her beachy decor.

The wood was a leftover piece of old fence board.

I painted the wood Dolphin's Cove by BM. Then I dry brushed a grey over that. I also dry brushed white over that. I just kept going until it was the look I was going for. Once my paint was done and dry I had to decide on my lettering.

I picked my font and printed out my letters on paper and then transferred them to the sign. I show pictures of the way I transfer images in my Tooth Fairy sign post.

I searched for an object to put on either side and finally came up with the seahorse shape. It was one of the shapes on a Cricut cartridge. I simply cut it out with my Cricut to the correct size and then traced around the cutout onto the sign.



Once everything was in pencil I started painting my seahorses and letters. I did 2 coats. I sealed it with wax and buffed it. I love the soft shine that buffed wax gives. It is so soft and pretty.

I put 2 tiny eye hooks in the top and screwed them in. Then took 3 strands of jute/string and braided them. I thought this sign may be outside (under a roof) and wanted the string to hold up to the weather. I did not have any thicker string and thought this would give it good texture and hold up well.



Sorry I don't have any during photos. However, I thought it was too cute not to share!

Thanks for visiting me today!


Linking up to:
Savy Southern Style

3 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!