Monday, August 19, 2013

Old Cabinet doors Re-Invented

Happy Monday to you!

So today I am sharing a project that has taken me a while (note: definition of that time frame is open to interpretation - he. he. he.) to complete. I had two doors from an old vanity unit that I found on the side of the road.



I moved the doors with us and painted them with Miss Mustard Seed milkpaint in Boxwood, while I painted my little Duncan Phyfe table. That was before vacation.

Here is a picture of how the paint looked before and after using Miss Mustard Seeds Antiquing Wax.



Refer to my post on painting a $4 yard sale table to see how I mixed the Miss Mustard Seed milk paint and painted with it.

After vacation I spray painted the insides of the doors with chalk paint. Of course I chose a day that was 95 degrees and very high humidity to do this so it took a long time to dry correctly! Benefit of living in the South! Here is a picture before I removed my protective tape and paper used to shield the painted edges.



After removing the tape and paper and THREE coats of chalkboard paint....



After waiting a day to cure, I rubbed chalk all over the doors and they were ready to write on. br>
I decided to use these as signs for my kids on their first day of school to let everyone know (and so I can remember 20 years from now) what grade the pictures were from. I think they look cute as signs, but my kids are even cuter!







Who knows what they will be used for in the new house. Some of my ideas include:

** hang horizontally and mount a towel bar on the bottom and each child gets their own
** hang horizontally and use small hooks across the bottom and use as a key holder
** hang vertically and use as a grocery list
** other ideas????


Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!!!!


Linking up with: Green Willow Pond, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Balancing Home, Thrifty Decor Chick

4 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I am dying to make a chalkboard menu planner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. That's a good idea - I always feel like the grocery list is silly because then you need to erase it and write it on something you can actually take to the store! But a menu for the week would be perfect! Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  2. Love what you did to the cabinet doors! They are so versatile and can be used all year long! I featured them on Sew Woodsy today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Katie! That is so exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!