Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thrift Store Canister Chalk "Label"

In the midst of all the packing and chaos I needed to do something under my control.......so I chose to spray paint. Maybe not the best idea, but it made me happy and I needed that! In between packing up items I was running outside spraying and cutting with my Cricut. Thank goodness my husband was not here - it would just confirm how crazy I am going to get as this moving thing gets more intense!!!

A while ago I found 2 little canisters at a thrift store that my 3 year old could not leave without. They were a cute shape, had lids with rubber gaskets that were intact, had little handles, and were UGLY. Unfortunately my little one broke the smaller canister by swinging it around by the cute little handle.....So I only had 1 ugly canister to fix. Here it is a hot speckled, lid-less and handle-less mess.



I wanted to have a chalkboard label, but wondered if I could just use my chalkboard SPRAYpaint in the shape of a label....hmmmm.....so I sprayed the center area with several coats of chalkboard spray paint.



Sorry for the glare. It was still wet.....remember, I was in a rush to get back to packing all my stuff! I'm amazed that I remembered to take pictures!

Next I cut a shape out on my Cricut in vinyl and put it over the dried chalkboard paint. I made sure the edges were stuck really good.



Next I used an old golf club of my husbands (shhhh) to stick the canister upside down on while I held up the stick with one hand and sprayed with the other. I had to do a few coats of paint. Be warned, I could not get the green to look right in the photos. In real life it is not so minty green... After it dried I very carefully got the corner of the vinyl up and peeled it back.



Now I have a cute little canister that I can write whatever I want on it. When the boys asked if there were treats in there for them, I told them it was for dog treats! Not really....but I wanted to squash their idea of getting treats before eating dinner!





I hope you liked my quick little project. A few days ago I went to a local store that carries Miss Mustard Seed paints, and purchased a sample of her Boxwood milk paint, and a jar of Antiquing Wax. I can't wait to use them. I think I will be in big trouble if I try to squeeze this project in before moving day next week!!! I will post about it when I do it!

Have a great weekend y'all!

(I can't help it - that is my favorite southern saying and I use it too much for my northern upbringing.)



I'm linking up with there great blogs: House of Hepworths, The Shabby Creek Cottage,

1 comment:

  1. Thats very cute, I'm going to have to pick up some chalk paint!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They really make my day!